Alain Vigneault and his staff have put together a detailed, science-based plan to prepare the Flyers for what could be an unprecedented run at the 2020 Stanley Cup.
They know they have about a month to work with following an abrupt stoppage that spanned four months because of the coronavirus outbreak.
“I believe it’s going to work,” the Flyers’ head coach said Monday about his team’s plan ahead of the NHL’s return-to-play 24-team tournament.
Part of the plan includes an exhibition contest. It also features three interesting round-robin games, which will dictate the Eastern Conference’s top-four seeds but can serve as a tune-up of sorts, as well. During the qualifying round, the Flyers will try to improve their seeding and strategize for the first round of the playoffs, which begins Aug. 11.
We’ve got 30 days to get ready for our first official game on Aug. 11,” Vigneault said. “Our group is excited, focused, energized – and we’ve been waiting a long time here to have this opportunity to compete for the Stanley Cup, and we’re going to get it.
“We are going to take this time that we have in front of us here to obviously prepare the team. We’re also going to take the exhibition game and the three games that we’re going to play because really, Aug. 11, our first game in the first round for the Stanley Cup Playoffs starts there. I’m going to put on the ice at that time the best lineup that we have.
We now know when and who the Flyers will play in their exhibition game: the Penguins. The NHL also released the start time for the Flyers’ round-robin opener against the Bruins.
Here are the details so far, while broadcast information is to be announced on another date:
Flyers vs. Penguins, Tuesday, July 28 – 4 p.m. ET (exhibition)
Flyers vs. Bruins, Sunday, Aug. 2 – 3 p.m. ET (round robin)
Flyers vs. Capitals, Thursday, Aug. 6 – TBD (round robin)
Flyers vs. Lightning, Sunday, Aug. 9 – TBD (round robin)
For analysis on the Flyers’ round-robin slate, click here. For the rest of the NHL schedule and start times, click here.
Sports Uncovered is on all podcast platforms: click here to subscribe now!
Subscribe and rate Flyers Talk: Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher | Art19 | YouTube
Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.
More Flyers analysis for 24-team tournament
• What it was like to go back to work at Flyers practice in different times
• Flyers release training camp roster as they gear up for 24-team tournament
• Analyzing the Flyers’ schedule to open 24-team tournament
• Flyers sign a player to extension at position of strength
• What to know as NHL, NHLPA finish big step, announce schedule
• 5 questions on Flyers’ chances in 24-team tournament
• Predictions for Flyers’ best Game 1 lineup to start 24-team playoff
• Who are the Flyers’ top 5 reinforcements for 24-team tournament?
• Things get even better for Flyers in NHL’s 24-team tournament
• Finding the Flyers’ best 1st-round matchup for Hart
• Flyers have two top 50 pending UFAs; will they re-sign them?
• Hockey insider details Flyers’ hotel, importance of training camp
• Key dates, protocols announced as Flyers near next steps toward return
NHL schedule 2020: Start times for Flyers vs. Penguins exhibition game, Flyers vs. Bruins round-robin game originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia